Francis Young is a member of the Society of Indexers and an experienced professional indexer, translator and palaeographer. He specialises in indexing academic books in the fields of History, Theology, Classics and Philosophy. In the past, Francis freelanced extensively as a proofreader for STEM publishers, particularly in the field of Agricultural Science, and was general editor of the Catholic Record Society’s records series between 2015 and 2017.
Francis Young routinely compiles indexes for numerous major presses including Cambridge University Press, Oxford University Press, Brill, Brepols, Routledge, Boydell & Brewer, Bloomsbury Academic and Penguin.
Books recently indexed by Francis Young:
- W. François, V. Soen, A. Dupont, A. A. Robiglio (eds.), Authority Revisited: Towards Thomas More and Erasmus in 1516 (Brepols, 2020)
- Kathleen B. Neal, The Letters of Edward I: Political Communication in the Thirteenth Century (Boydell & Brewer, 2020)
- Rory MacLellan, Donations to the Knights Hospitaller in Britain and Ireland, 1291-1400 (Routledge, 2020)
- Seb Falk, The Light Ages: A Medieval Journey of Discovery (Penguin, 2020)
- A. Walsham, B. Wallace, C. Law and B. Cummings (eds), Memory and the English Reformation (Cambridge University Press, 2020)
Francis is also able to supply specialist indexes such as a Biblical reference index and an index locorum of Classical texts should a book require this. Francis’s indexing fees generally follow the recommendations of the Society of Indexers. Please contact Francis for more details.
Francis Young is a specialist translator of medieval and early modern Latin texts, and is available to translate both snippets of prose and poetry or longer texts such as legal documents and accounts. His translations have included a verse translation for Salisbury Cathedral’s 800th anniversary in 2020 that was set to music as The Salisbury Anthem, and he routinely translates Latin for the Medieval Graffiti Project.
Please contact Francis for more information about his translation work.
Francis Young is a specialist in reading medieval and early modern Latin manuscripts, and is able to provide transcriptions of manuscript texts (please note that, should you require a translation as well, this will be charged separately). Please contact Francis for more details.